Field Trip to Stone Lab
Join Sue Bixler, Outreach & Education Associate at Ohio Sea Grant, for a Field Trip to Stone Lab on Gibraltar Island Tuesday, Aug. 9 from 1-3 p.m.
Participants will tour the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island, home of F.T. Stone Laboratory and Ohio Sea Grant, which is normally not readily accessible to the public during summer class rotations. The tour will include Perry’s Lookout, glacial grooves, Cooke’s Castle and the Laboratory Building (including a close-up view of the famous Lake Erie water snakes and Stone Lab programming, including education and research and solar kiosk).
Meet at the Boardwalk Restaurant Water Taxi Docks, located at 341 Bayview Ave. in Downtown Put-in-Bay. Transportation to Gibraltar Island by water taxi will begin at 12:45 p.m. and the tour on Gibraltar Island will begin at 1 p.m. Price of water taxi is included in the tour, but tip for boat ride is not included. Please note: Individuals must obtain their own transportation to Put-In-Bay. See below for travel options to Put-in-Bay.
IMPORTANT FIELD TRIP NOTES
– Participants ages 6-17 must be accompanied by an adult.
– Individuals need to obtain their own transportation to Put-In-Bay. See below for travel options to Put-In-Bay.
– Water taxis will begin taking participants to Gibraltar Island at 12:45 p.m. Price of water taxi is included in the tour, but tip for boat ride is not included.
– Please be advised that walking surfaces on Gibraltar Island are sometimes uneven. Good walking shoes or tennis shoes are advised. The tour will include a great deal of walking around the 6.5-acre island and climbing several flights of stairs.
– The tour will happen rain or shine!
This Field Trip is for all ages. The cost is $8 for ages 7+ and includes Water Taxi to and from Gibraltar Island from Put-in-Bay (round trip). There is no cost for children ages 6 & under. Tour costs go toward funding Ohio Sea Grant programs. There are limited spots available for this field trip. Sign up online. The registration deadline is Monday, Aug. 8 or until registration is full. Pay the $8 fee at the Water Taxi.
Contact the Education Department at email@example.com or (419) 798-4461, ext. 278.
TRAVEL OPTIONS TO PUT-IN-BAY
– Round Trip Cost: Adult $17; Children (ages 6-11) $3
– Leaves from Catawba Island
– The Miller Ferry docks at the opposite end of the island, so the participants need to
take a taxi or bus to the Boardwalk Restaurant to catch the water taxi. Taxi fees range from $2.50-$3 per person one way. Taxis wait at the Miller Ferry dock as ferries come in.
– Island Transportations Bus to the downtown from the Miller Ferry dock is $3 per person (ages 6+) one way.
– Round Trip Cost: Adults $36.50; Children (ages 6-11) $6; Youth (ages 12-16) $15
– Leaves from Port Clinton
– The Jet Express docks in downtown Put-in-Bay. The Boardwalk Restaurant is an easy walk from the dock.
Golf Carts at Put-In-Bay
Golf Carts are available for rent at the Miller Ferry Docks and downtown near the Jet Express.