Blood, Sweat & Tears
The iconic, Grammy Award-winning, classic rock band Blood, Sweat & Tears performs in Hoover Auditorium Saturday, July 8 at 7:30 p.m. Lakeside is expecting a large crowd for this concert, please review the concert information below.
Blood, Sweat & Tears (BS&T) is not the first band to ever use a horn section, but they’re the first to fuse it with rock, jazz and some blues thrown in for good measure.
The first ensemble took shape in the late 1960s, practicing in a loft on Bleeker Street in New York’s Greenwich Village. When crowds clapped between songs from the street below, founding member and drummer Bobby Colomby knew they were on the right course. Since then, the band hasn’t stopped touring for over 50 years.
The first BS&T album, Child is Father to the Man, was released to little fan fair. After band member changes and replacing a lead singer, their second album, self-named Blood, Sweat & Tears, was a great success, rising to the top of the charts for seven weeks and yielding three Top 5 singles.
The album received the Grammy Award for “Album of the Year” in 1970, beating out The Beatles’ Abbey Road. The album went on to earn quadruple platinum status with well over four million sales.
BS&T went on to receive 10 Grammy nominations and won three. They performed at Woodstock on Aug. 17, 1969, the same day as Jimi Hendrix and other great bands. They also played at Woodstock 2019 in Bethel Woods, New York.
Over the last 50 years, BS&T has had many configurations, and fans can agree that the music is timeless. To this day, founding member Colomby still hand picks the musicians for every tour. The group’s current vocalist is Chris Shutters, who is originally from Toledo, Ohio. Colomby still uses the same theory, “Great musicians make great music.”
- Admission & Parking Passes: A Chautauqua Pass and Auto Pass are required to enter the Lakeside gates from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. Guests may purchase passes online at lakesideohio.com/admission or upon entering the gates of Lakeside. If purchased online, you may present a mobile pass when entering the Lakeside gates and Hoover Auditorium. Upon receiving your Auto Pass, please place it in the lower left corner of your windshield. The Safety Services Department will check Auto Passes as part of their daily routine.
- Entry: A Chautauqua Pass (physical pass, mobile or printed pass) must be presented upon entering and exiting the Lakeside Chautauqua gates and entering Hoover Auditorium for the concert.
- Hoover Auditorium: The concert will be held at Hoover Auditorium (115 W. Third St.), located on Third St. between Walnut and Central Avenues in Lakeside, Ohio. The auditorium is a short walk from all available parking locations. A complimentary golf cart shuttle service is available on a continuous route. The historic auditorium seats more than 2,000 guests.
- Doors Open: The doors to Hoover Auditorium open at 6:45 p.m. ADA access to the auditorium begins at 6:30 p.m. through the center doors on the west side of the building along Walnut Ave. Please only one additional guest for ADA assistance. The concert starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Entry to Hoover Auditorium: Queue lines start at 5:30 p.m. outside Hoover Auditorium along Third St. Enter from Walnut Avenue.
- Seating: Seats in Hoover Auditorium are general admission and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each guest may hold only one seat in addition to their own.
- Food & Beverages: Food and beverages are prohibited inside Hoover Auditorium. Bottled water is permitted.
- No Backpacks or Large Purses: Backpacks and large purses are prohibited inside Hoover Auditorium. All bags will be checked upon entry.
- Directions to Lakeside: Lakeside Chautauqua is located in Ohio on the Marblehead Peninsula, halfway between Toledo and Cleveland on Lake Erie’s south shore. It’s easily accessible from the east or west via Interstate 90, Route 2 and Route 163. View directions.
- Parking: An Auto Pass is required to enter the Lakeside gates from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. Lakeside offers three different parking options and fees: 1) inside the gates, 2) at the South Gate Parking Lot and 3) Danbury School Parking Lot. Limited parking is available in Lakeside. If parking within the gates, please park in the grass area around the Lakeside Schoolhouse (along Seventh Street). Parking at Hotel Lakeside and the Fountain Inn lots is reserved for hotel guests only.
- Shuttles: Complimentary golf cart shuttles run 7 a.m.-11 p.m. daily, with the last pick up at 10:30 p.m. For those with limited mobility, the Mack Mobile is available by calling 419-341-8247. Shuttles run on a continuous route between the following stops: Welcome Center (South Gate), Campground, Pool area (Sixth Street), Shuffleboard (Second Street & Central Avenue), Hotel Lakeside, the Fountain Inn, Hoover Auditorium, Fifth Street Gate, the Rhein Center (Sixth Street & Walnut Avenue) and the Lakeside Schoolhouse parking area. Please note that a shuttle service does not run from the Danbury School Parking Lot. Guests can pick up a shuttle from the South Gate entrance.
- Staying Overnight: Rooms are available at historic Hotel Lakeside or our family-friendly Fountain Inn, both located a short walking distance from Hoover Auditorium. For more information, visit lakesideohio.com/stay.